Scalloped potatoes make a great special occasion side dish, because they can be made in advance, they go with everything and everyone loves them. To make this recipe easier, look for pre-sliced potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes) in the refrigerated section of your supermarket.
Don't Miss: Potato Skins Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes or pre-peeled and sliced refrigerated potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2-1/2 cups half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish or gratin dish with cooking spray.
- Use a food processor fitted with the slicing blade, a mandolin (compare prices), or a knife to peel and cut potatoes into 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Place one-third of the potatoes in the bottom of the dish, overlapping if necessary. Top with 1 teaspoon of the garlic, salt, and pepper, and 1 cup of the shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese.
- Repeat the layers: One-third of the potatoes, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, salt, pepper and 1 cup of the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Place the remaining potatoes over the cheese. Top with the Parmesan cheese. Pour the half and half evenly over the potatoes.
- Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet, cover, and bake 1 hour.
- Remove cover and bake another 30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
Let potatoes rest 10 minutes before serving.