Best Healthy Snack Ideas for Kids:
These healthy snack ideas include tasty treats you can buy, plus snack recipes that you can make with and for the kids. Many of these recipes can be made in advance, so you can have them on hand when the snack attack hits.
Healthy Snacks to Buy:
Healthy snacks for kids don't have to be homemade. Try these store-bought healthy snacks:
- Seaweed Snacks (compare prices - This Koren snack will satisfy a salt craving. It's crunchy and high minerals, fiber, protein and vitamins.
- Sahale Snacks Gourmet Nuts (compare prices) - With sweet and savory flavors like barbeque almonds and pomegranate cashews, Sahale nuts have something for everyone. And they're full of healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Sweet Potato Chips (compare prices) - Look for brands like Food Should Taste Good's sweet potato tortilla chips, which are high in fiber, protein and Vitamin A.
- GH Cretors Popcorn (compare prices) - This all-natural natural popcorn is rich in fiber and is gluten- and GMO-free. The kids will love the flavors - cheese, kettle corn, caramel nut and a special Chicago mix of caramel and cheddar popcorn.
Easy Healthy Snack Recipes:
These healthy snack recipes are a cinch to make:
- Apple Slices with Peanut Butter - Top apples with a smear of peanut butter, then sprinkle with granola in this kid-pleasing snack.
- Hummus Recipe - Hummus is a great healthy snack idea, because you can make a big batch on Sunday and snack on it all week. Serve with pita chips, crackers or carrot and celery sticks.
- Healthy Popcorn Recipe - This homemade popcorn recipe gets a nutrition and flavor boost from a surprising ingredient: nutritional yeast. It adds protein and B vitamins and a pleasant cheesy taste to popcorn.
- Roasted Chickpeas - When you take chickpeas, toss them with olive oil and salt and bake them, they turn into a savory, crunchy treat the kids will gobble up in no time. And the best part is this healthy snack recipe takes less than 5 minutes of active prep time.
- Healthy Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats Recipe - Brown crispy rice cereal, brown rice syrup and peanut butter combine to make these rice crispy treats a healthy treat, but the kids will only know how good these treats taste.
- Deviled Eggs Recipe - What was once considered a high-cholesterol, unhealthy treat is now recognized as a healthy, high-protein snack that's perfect for enjoying any time of day. Look for omega-3 enriched eggs for an even bigger health boost.
- Strawberry Smoothies - Fruit, fruit juice and yogurt make these simple strawberry smoothies a healthy, sweet treat the kids will adore.
- Frozen Grapes - Freezing the grapes changes the texture and flavor of this fruit so much, it's a whole new flavor experience. Remember - don't give grapes to children under age 3.
- Yogurt Parfait Recipe - Greek yogurt combines with fruit and honey in this sweet and satisfying healthy snack recipe.