These granola bug cookies are a fun and easy snack for kids. You can decorate these granola cookies to look like bugs, or just eat them as they are.
This recipe is courtesy of Mealtime.org.
- 1-1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup whole grain wheat cereal
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1 15.25 oz. can peach halves, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 20 licorice strings
- raisins to make ladybugs
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cereals, oats and cinnamon until well-combined.
- Place pineapple and peaches between several layers of paper towels, and blot to absorb excess moisture. Set aside.
- Heat brown sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until melted. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over cereal mixture and toss until thoroughly combined. Stir in drained and blotted fruit.
- Pack into prepared baking dish and set aside until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 60 squares.
- To make bugs, form each square into an egg shape with a flat bottom. Insert small pieces of licorice to make antennae and legs. To make ladybugs, decorate the back with raisins for dots.