Homemade NutellaI'm told that children in France frequently enjoy a snack of Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread) on bread after school. Rich with flavor (and calories), most Americans shun such a decadent snack.
But when you compare it to chips, cheese puffs and other high-fat, artificial snack foods with no nutritional value, Nutella on bread comes out on top. Plus, it's way more satisfying. I like to make my own chocolate hazelnut spread so I can avoid the trans fats (and the cost) of the packaged Nutella.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Place the hazelnuts in a dry skillet and toast over medium heat 2 to 4 minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Place the hazelnuts and the chocolate chips in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process for 3 to 5 minutes until the mixture starts to become smooth.
- Drizzle in one tablespoon of oil while continuing to process. If necessary, add another tablespoon of oil until the mixture becomes smooth and spreadable.