This cheeseburger soup recipe is a hearty, kid-pleasing soup that's satisfying enough to be a meal by itself. Jarred salsa con queso is the secret ingredient for this Crockpot cheeseburger soup recipe. It makes the soup thick and cheesy, and I like the fact that you can get salsa con queso (compare prices) that has no artificial ingredients or additives. Don't worry if the queso is spicy. The Crockpot has a way of mellowing flavors, so by the time this cheeseburger soup is finished cooking, it won't be overly spicy.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 16 oz. jars salsa con queso (compare prices), such as Frontera or Arriba
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain, and add to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 jar of the salsa con queso, the tomatoes and the vegetable broth. Cover, and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 5 hours.
- Uncover, and add the second jar of salsa con queso and the cheese. Cook another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Serve the cheeseburger soup topped with sour cream if desired.