To save time chopping, buy the bagged, pre-chopped broccoli available in your supermarket produce section.
Don't Miss: Broccoli Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half (or whole milk)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 pounds fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (low fat is okay)
- Heat butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until softened.
- Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over onions and stir vigorously, 2 to 3 minutes, until no lumps appear and raw flour taste is cooked off.
- Add the half and half and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Cook 15 to 20 minutes until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Add salt, pepper, hot sauce and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids