Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced (Rome Beauty, Jonathan or Golden Delicious)
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions soften and start to turn golden, but not browned, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat if onions start to brown.
- Add celery, carrots and apples. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Let the carrot soup boil until potatoes are fork-tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Use a Vitamix blender (compare prices) or an immersion blender (compare prices) to puree the carrot soup.
- Add honey and 1/4 tsp. of the crushed red pepper flakes. Stir well. Taste and add the remaining red pepper flakes, if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings.