Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups cream, half and half, or whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Add flour, and cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable broth, and stir well.
- Add cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Let soup simmer 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Or let soup cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a blender to puree in batches.
- Return soup to pot. Stir in cream or milk and cheese.
- Taste, add red pepper flakes, and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately, or let cool completely and refrigerate or freeze in a tightly-covered container.