Don't Miss: Comforting Soup Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 ears fresh corn or 4 cups frozen corn
- 4 slices bacon
- 1-3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- If using fresh corn, shuck corn, remove silks, and cut off kernels by breaking ears in half and slicing kernels off with a knife.
- Heat a 5-quart dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bacon. Fry until crisp.
- Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. If there isn't enough bacon fat left in the pot, add enough oil to make approximately 3 tablespoons of fat in the pot.
- Add onions, red peppers, green peppers and garlic to the pot. Saute vegetables 2-3 minutes. Add corn. Stir and saute until glistening, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and let potatoes cook until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Use an immersion blender to puree soup, or transfer soup in batches to a blender, and puree until mostly smooth. Leave some chunks and pieces of corn.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings. Crumble bacon over the corn chowder just before serving.
Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids