Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 16 oz. dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 6 cups water
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced, divided
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked barley
- Place the split peas, onions, celery, garlic, soy sauce, water and all but 3/4 cup of the carrots in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours or high 3 hours.
- Remove cover, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add crushed red pepper flakes.
- Puree using an immersion blender. Or transfer to a regular blender or Vita Mix, and puree, in batches. Be careful to cover the top of the blender with a kitchen towel, so the steam doesn't burn your hands.
- Return soup to the slow cooker and stir in the remaining carrots. Cover and cook on low another 30 minutes to 1 hour, until carrots are tender.
- Stir in cooked barley. Taste and adjust seasonings.