Homemade Tomato SoupTomato soup is the perfect partner for a grilled cheese sandwich. And this homemade tomato soup recipe takes little more effort than opening a can.
Don't Miss: School Lunch Ideas to End the Mid-Day Blahs
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cream (optional)
- croutons for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots. Cook another 3-5 minutes until vegetables soften.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper. Taste and correct seasonings, if necessary.
- Transfer to a blender and puree in batches or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Stir in cream, if using.
Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids