If you're looking for green recipes to make for St. Patrick's Day, this green popcorn is a fun one that appeals to everyone. Be sure to use light corn syrup for this green popcorn recipe. The darker syrup can make the popcorn turn yellow.
This green popcorn recipe is essentially caramel corn that is colored green. This green popcorn also makes a fun treat for Christmas. Just divide the syrup in half and color one half red and the other half green.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 4-8 drops green food coloring
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the sugar and light corn syrup. Let it come to a boil. When the sugar dissolves, remove the caramel syrup from the heat.
- Stir in the salt and baking soda. The syrup will bubble up. Let it settle down a bit, stirring, then add the green food coloring. Start with 4-5 drops. Stir it in. Add more food coloring until it reaches the desired shade of green.
- Place the popcorn in a large mixing bowl. Pour the green caramel syrup over the popcorn. Toss to coat the popcorn well. Divide the popcorn between two jelly roll pans that have been lined with silpat mats (compare prices). Spread the green popcorn out into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Don't Miss: Green Popcorn Video Recipe