These chocolate rice krispie treats make a great game day recipe for tailgating with the family or a fun Super Bowl party recipe for a crowd. Kids love making these treats as much as eating them. Unlike some chocolate rice crispy treat recipes, this one is not made with chocolate cereal. The chocolate comes from cocoa powder and chocolate hazelnut spread.
Yield: 12-16 rice crispy treats
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows or 10 oz. bag marshmallows
- 1/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (such as Nutella or Nocciolata)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- white gel icing
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper. Spray a rubber spatula with cooking spray.
- Pour the rice crispy cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and marshmallows over medium heat, stirring with the spatula until the marshmallows are almost melted.
- Add the cocoa powder and chocolate hazelnut spread, stirring until the mixture is completely melted. Pour over the rice crispy cereal, stirring with the spatula to coat well.
- Turn the chocolate rice crispy treat mixture out onto the waxed paper. Form the chocolate rice crispy treats into ovals, like mini footballs. Let them cool completely (about 15 minutes). You can pop them in the refrigerator for 5 minutes to cool more quickly if you like.
- Use the white gel icing to draw the laces of the football onto the chocolate rice crispy treats.
Don't Miss: Rice Crispy Treats Recipe