Black Bottom Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Recipe by Green & Black's Organic Chocolate. Reprinted with permission.This pumpkin pie recipe combines two great pie flavors -- chocolate and pumpkin pie -- in one elegant dessert. This chocolate pumpkin pie is the perfect Thanksgiving dessert recipe for chocolate lovers.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- Pumpkin Pie Crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. (3/4 stick) cold unsalted butter, or shortening, or a combination, cut into cubes
- 2-3 Tbsp. cold water, as needed
- Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. dark rum or brandy
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2-1/2 oz. dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa content, coarsely chopped
- Make the crust: Whisk together the flour and salt in a large bowl. With a two knives or a pastry blender (compare prices), cut in the butter and/or shortening until the mixture forms large crumbs.
- Sprinkle the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over the mixture and toss gently with a fork until the dough just comes together without crumbling apart. Form the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into an 11-inch circle. Transfer it to a 9-inch pie plate and crimp the edges. Line the crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the pie crust for 20 minutes, then remove the paper and weights. Continue baking 5 more minutes. Transfer pie crust to a rack to cool slightly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree with the cream and eggs until smooth. Whisk in the brown sugar, rum, spices and salt, taking care that the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps of brown sugar.
- Scatter the chocolate over the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the pumpkin mixture over the chocolate in the pie crust. Bake the chocolate pumpkin pie until the filling is just set, about 45 minutes. It will seem wobbly in the center, but it is perfect. Cool chocolate pumpkin pie for 2 hours before serving.