I make a lot of pumpkin pie recipes, but this recipe is the one I make when only a homemade crust will do. The secret to making amazing pie is allowing the crust to rest in the refrigerator before filling it and allowing the pie to cool completely before cutting. You'll want to remove it from the oven when a knife inserted about one inch from the edge comes out mostly clean. The inside of the pie will still be jiggly -- that's the way it should be.
One more note: Make sure you use unsweetened pumpkin puree for this recipe. Pumpkin pie filling is not the same - it is already sweetened and would make this pie much too sweet.
Don't Miss: 10 Best Pumpkin Pie Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
refrigeration time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Pumpkin Pie Crust
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-4 Tbsp. water
- Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1 15 oz. can unsweetened pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- Place flour, salt and sugar in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Pulse several times.
- Add butter pieces. Pulse for 20-30 seconds, just until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With motor of the food processor running, pour 2 tablespoons of water in through the feed tube. Process 15 seconds. If mixture doesn't come together as a dough, add remaining water. Process another 10-15 seconds. Do not overprocess!
- Shape dough into a ball. Flatten, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Take dough out of the refrigerator. Place an oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough out to a 13-inch circle. (Hint: roll, then turn dough a quarter-turn, and repeat, to keep pastry an even thickness and to prevent sticking).
- Drape dough over rolling pin and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim ends of the crust. Tuck remaining ends under, and crimp with a fork.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add remaining filling ingredients. Mix until smooth. Pour into prepared crust. Place pie on a baking sheet.
- Bake 45-55 minutes until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out mostly clean. The inside of the pie will still look wet and jiggly. This is the way it should be.
- Cool pie 1-1/2 to 3 hours on a wire rack before cutting.
Don't Miss: Easy Pumpkin Pie