Sweet Potato GratinThis sweet potato gratin looks really impressive on the table. But it isn't all that hard to make. In fact, the hardest part is peeling and slicing the sweet potatoes and apples. I recommend a mandolin or a food processor with the slicing blade.
Don't Miss: Sweet Potato Recipes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 8-12 servings
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes (about 3 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1-1/2 lbs. apples (such as Granny Smith, Jonathan or Jonagold)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups cream or half and half
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish or 2-quart gratin dish.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Using a food processor fitted with a slicing blade, a mandolin, or a knife, cut sweet potatoes into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Peel apples. Using a food processor, mandolin, or knife, cut into slices approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Layer 1/3 of the sweet potatoes in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Top with half of the apple slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon.
- Pour 1/2 cup of cream over top. Press down lightly with your fingers to ensure the potatoes and apples are covered with the cream.
- Repeat layers, ending with another 1/2 cup of cream.
- Top with remaining sweet potatoes and remaining cream.
- Cover with foil, and bake 1 hour.
- Combine topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over sweet potatoes. Bake another 40-50 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
Don't Miss: Sweet Potato Casserole Toppings