Sweet Potato Casserole RecipeThis sweet potato casserole recipe is a classic Thanksgiving side dish that will surely please the kids at the table.
You can make this sweet potato casserole in advance. Just bake the sweet potatoes without the marshmallows, cool, wrap tightly and refrigerate. Just before serving, heat in a 350 degree-oven for about 15 minutes, then add the marshmallows and bake 5-10 minutes longer.
- 5 large sweet potatoes (4-5 lbs.)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 10.5 oz. package miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 to 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Wash and prick potatoes with a fork several times. Place on a baking sheet and bake 1 hour. Alternatively, place on a paper towel in the microwave, and heat on high 6-12 minutes until soft.
- Let potatoes cool. Peel and place sweet potato pulp in a food processor.*
- Add remaining ingredients except marshmallows. Puree until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Spread marshmallows over top of casserole. Bake another 5-10 minutes on the top rack, until the marshmallows brown.
*The reason I use a food processor is to make sure the stringy parts of the baked sweet potatoes get smoothly mixed in. Alternatively, you could use a blender (though it's messier), or an electric mixer.