Chocolate Covered StrawberriesChocolate covered strawberries are one of my favorite treats. Once you learn how to make chocolate covered strawberries, you can change the recipe to suit your mood.
Try dark chocolate covered strawberries with mini chocolate chips and coconut. Or try milk chocolate covered strawberries with nuts. The possibilities are limitless.
Try to find chocolate melting wafers -- the kind used for making candy -- for these chocolate covered strawberries. They are easiest to work with. If not, use chopped chocolate or chocolate chips for your chocolate covered strawberries.
- 12 oz. semisweet or dark chocolate melting wafers (in a pinch, you can use chips or chopped chocolate)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed and dried completely with a paper towel
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. You will place your chocolate covered strawberries on this sheet to cool.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe container. Heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and continue heating on 50% power in 30-second increments until melted.
- Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip in the chocolate mixture, then lay on the waxed paper to harden. Refrigerate chocolate covered strawberries when finished.
Helpful Hints for Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Make sure strawberries are well-dried. The drier they are, the easier it will be for the chocolate to cling.
- Use a the best-quality chocolate you can find. If you're using a really dark chocolate (more than 63% cacao, add another tablespoon of butter.
- Work quickly. Each time you dip the strawberries, the chocolate will cool off a little, making it harder to cover the strawberries evenly.
- If the chocolate gets hard, add a little butter and heat again in the microwave on 50% power for 20-30 seconds to warm it up again.
- Line up your ingredients next to each other to make your chocolate covered strawberries: first the strawberries, then the chocolate, then the baking sheet.
- If you don't mind working at the stove, try melting the chocolate and butter in a double boiler over low simmering water. This will keep the chocolate warmer longer.
- Experiment with toppings for your chocolate covered strawberries. Chopped nuts, coconut and sprinkles work well for chocolate covered strawberries.