Chocolate sugar cookies make a nice change from traditional sugar cookies for chocolate-lovers. This recipe works best when you give the dough at least two hours to rest in the fridge. This firms it up. Then, when you're ready to roll the cookies, just leave the dough out at room temperature for about 15 minutes before rolling.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
refrigeration time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 34 minutes
Yield: 16-24 cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Place butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Heat on 50% power for 1 minute. Stir and repeat until chocolate is melted.
- Stir in sugar, egg and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda and salt, mixing until incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out dough to a thickness of 1/4-inch (click here for an easy trick for rolling sugar cookie dough without sticking)>. Cut dough into desired shapes, and place on ungreased cookie sheets (compare prices).
- Bake for 10-14 minutes. Let cool completely, and decorate as desired.
Don't Miss: Sugar Cookie Recipes