Don't Miss: Heart Shaped Food
Prep Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 39 minutes
Yield: 20-24 cookies
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 small egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- For Decorating:
- 1 cup pink candy melts
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- red, white and pink sprinkles
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat shortening and sugar together. Beat in egg and vanilla. On low speed, add flour mixture, mixing until incorporated. Dough should be soft, but not sticky. If cookie dough is too sticky, add up to 1/4 cup of flour until desired consistency is reached.
- Shape dough into a disc, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. (Click here to see an easy method for rolling sugar cookie dough without sticking.) Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut Valentine cookies into hearts. Place Valentine cookies on ungreased cookie sheets, two inches apart. Bake 9-14 minutes.
- Let Valentine cookies cool completely while you make the icing. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or waxed paper.
- Melt candy melts according to package directions. Dip half of the cooled cookie hearts in the melted candy coating. You can dip the top half of the heart or one side of the heart or even the whole heart. Place on prepared baking sheets. While candy coating is still warm, sprinkle with Valentine-colored sprinkles. Let cool completely.
- For chocolate coating, combine chocolate chips and oil on top of a double boiler, and melt. Or place in a microwave-safe container and heat on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until melted. Dip Valentine cookies in chocolate mixture and place on prepared cookie sheets. While chocolate is still warm, decorate with sprinkles. Let Valentine cookies cool completely. Store in refrigerator until ready to eat.