Don't Miss: Broccoli Recipes the Kids Will Love
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream or half and half
- 16 oz. frozen broccoli florets
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6-8 dashes hot sauce
- Heat butter in a large, heavy saucepan or 5-quart dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Whisk in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Stir in broth and cream. Let soup come to a gentle boil.
- Add broccoli florets and potatoes. Let broccoli soup simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are fork tender.
- If you have an immersion blender (Compare Prices), use that to puree the broccoli soup, leaving some of the broccoli soup still somewhat chunky. Or transfer broccoli soup to a VitaMix blender (compare prices) or other blender, and puree in batches.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Add hot sauce. Taste, and adjust seasonings.
Don't Miss: Vegetable Soup Recipes for Kids