Even if you think you don't like onions, you will likely enjoy this tart, because when you cook the onions until they're caramelized, they become wonderfully sweet and tender.
Don't Miss: Zucchini Tart
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (or flat frozen pie crust that has been thawed)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg plus 2 Tbsp. water, beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and golden brown, about 35-40 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Unfold the pie crust on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese in the center of the crust, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around. Mound the caramelized onions in the center of the crust on top of the cheese.
- Fold over the edges of the crust, allowing several inches in the center of the tart to show through. With a pastry brush, brush the edges of the tart with the egg mixture.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Let the tart rest 10 minutes before serving.
Don't Miss: Savory Pies